CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 20, 2012

It feels like a dream...

Friday, February 17th
was my FIRST DAY on the
Neonatal ICU as a Registered Nurse
It was one of the weirdest feelings walking into work on Friday. It just feels like a dream I am going to wake up from. Reality hasn't hit me yet. I have been working towards being a nurse for what seems like a lifetime. Now I am and it is in my speciality!! I couldn't be more grateful. But I feel like I am in this honeymoon period where everything feels like a blur, yet I soak everything I possibly can in. Allow me to tell you about my first day...
First off...I love having my badge!! It gets me into all the restricted areas. While I did my capstone, I was not given a badge. It was SO annoying because every time I left, someone had to let me in when I came back. I felt like a pest. I still get a little feeling of excitement every time I use my badge to let me in. :) To add to this...I feel extremely professional as I swipe it through the time stamp machines.
Secondly...I get to wear the grey scrubs!! They made me feel like I was a part of the gang. Even though I LOVED wearing my Grey Anatomy and nrg Scrubs...it is nice not to feel like an outcast as I would walk around in blue scrubs verses the grey. I am not in love with the color grey but I already have bright undershirts to wear. :)
My first day was crazy...fun...exciting...and new. It was a great feeling to be back working with infants. I had the opportunity to witness a discharge, which I didn't during my capstone. I experienced two controlled situation with infants struggling with respiratory distress...one leading to cyanosis. So many things I didn't have the opportunity to see during my capstone. We were so busy and scrambling to stay on top of everything. Now my capstone was just shy a year ago...so it was the best feeling when the knowledge and skills came back to me from that experience. I felt like the staff gave me a certain level of trust I didn't have as a student. It was both scary and exhilarating because with it became a higher level of responsibility. I am looking forward to the rest of training so I can be more confident with this higher standard. It is starting to feel more like reality. By the end of the shift, I had been there 13.5 hours. We use '12 hours' shifts loosely. haha I am training again tomorrow. Hopefully it will go well and I can continue to learn and grow into the nurse I want to be.

3 comments:

Colette

I am SO excited for you, Megan! Congratulations!

Paul

That's my girl!

McKay Simmons

Hey Megan....I tried to "like" your last entry and it wouldn't let me...darn Facebook...lol. Anyway, I'm so happy for you! (I totally know what you mean about feeling the authority that comes with getting your first badge.) Way to hang in there and reach your goals!