CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 19, 2012

A Good Ol' Fashion Train Ride

I had a 5 days off from work and I was like...Why not take a train home? So I did...I booked the tickets 2 days before I left. It was an awesome experience...Let me tell you about it:
* I had a paper ticket FedEx to me.
* It is way cheaper than a plane ticket and a little less than gas.
* You don't have to come early like an airport or else you end up just chilling in this little shelter.
* You get 2 carry-on bags + a purse!!
* And even though it is 16 hours (opposed to 11 driving)...you can sleep. Especially when on the way to California it goes through the night. But watch out for those interesting people who don't understand common courtesy and start talking about their dramatic life without using their inside voice to the person right next to them at an incredibly late hour of the night. That is...awesome.
* Next time I am packing food. You can bring food and eat it in your seat. I didn't know that. So I went to the diner in the morning. Little did I know that their isn't such a thing as personal space when you are on a train and they sit you with complete strangers to eat. But that ended up being one my personal favorites. I met this grandfather who took his son on a train trip from Florida to San Fransisco, CA. Surprisingly, the grandson asked to do this because it was something his older brother got to do. It was a week long train ride during this 13 year old's Spring Break. I learned a lot about these two. The only said thing was the grandfather had tracheostomy from smoking and had to cover the hole every time he talked. It just makes me said when this happens and it could of been prevented. But by golly...it was great getting to meet these two strangers I will never see again. In fact...the entire train is an extremely social environment. There is definitely a type of crowd you see on trains. It was awesome to see it.
* Smoke free environment
* I just listened to my music and a book on tape.
* The scenery...you can see those in the last couple of pictures.
* Don't have to worry about the weather too much. There is always the chance for delay. But if I would of drove home...I would of hit snow about 50% of the time and possibly got stuck in Lake Tahoe.
* Basically...for the price...I would definitely do this again.

Here are just some random pics from the trip:
One of the things I miss the most in Utah...are my niblings. I love coming home to see them. Every time they look so different and act so different. I am grateful I am able to find so many ways to visit about every 3 months or I wouldn't recognize them. Trace is SO chubby!! He's got ROLLS!!I got to be there for Bryan's 29th Birthday!!I mean why would I want to miss such a Kodak moment?
I have made it a tradition to go to a little cafe called the Train Stop the morning I leave with my mom. This time Evan got to tag a long because he was able to ditch school and spend the night with me. In fact, Makayla and Caden also had a sleep over with me while I was there. I am pretty sure there was only one night I slept by myself. But I don't mind...these are the moments I live for. I love those kids SO much :)I enjoy coming home every time and am sad to leave every time. But I always know there will be a next time so I go back to my single employed life in Utah that I also love a lot.
...So Pictures on the way back to Utah...





0 comments: